This error occurs when a host has not been properly configured for VMotion. To VMotion a VM between ESX host, a VMkernel port with a unique IP address is required on each of the ESX host systems. If this port group has not been configured or has been configured with a duplicate IP address, this error occurs.
Check the configuration of the VMkernel port that is being used for VMotion.
To check the configuration of the VMkernel port:
Note: If one does not exist, create a VMkernel portgroup to be used for VMotion.
- Log in to the VirtualCenter Server from the VMware Infrastructure Client as an administrator.
- Select the ESX Server from the inventory.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Click the Networking link.
- Look for the switch that has a VMkernel port configured.
- Click the Properties link.
- Select the portgroup noted in Step 5.Ensure that it has an appropriate IP address assigned and that VMotion is enabled on the portgroup.
Read also the following vmware knowledge base article.
Posted in: VMware vSphere