This is a generic error, but in most cases it is the symptom of a failed vMotion migration operation.
When performing a vMotion, you see this compatibility error: Unable to migrate from <source server> to <destination server>: The operation is not allowed in the current state.
This issue can occur if the ESX/ESXi host or a virtual machine is in an unexpected state.
To work around the issue, perform one of these options:
- Cancel any existing task from the VMware Infrastructure Client.
- Wait until any pending tasks are complete.
- Restart the VMware vCenter Server service.
- Restart management agents of the host.
- Disconnect and reconnect the host to the vCenter Server.
- Start the host if it was powered off.
Read also the following VMware knowledge base article.
Posted in: VMware vSphere